FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 4, 2007--Santa Rosa CA
The 29th Annual Harmony Festival has awarded its Harmony Green Globe Awards to five worthy recipients to kick off this year’s festival devoted to “global cooling.” The yearly Santa Rosa-based Harmony Festival, rich in both music and environmental consciousness, will take place this year from June 8th 10th at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds and is expected to attract some 30,000 attendees. The five honors were awarded by a consultative jury of seven distinguished personalities devoted to alternative energy, conservation, climate preservation and social issues. Awards will be bestowed during a June 8 reception at the festival’s “Eco-Village.”
The five recipients are:
- Harmony Green Globe Award for the Most Environmentally Progressive Vehicle Maker: American Honda for its GX compressed natural gas vehicle, sometimes called “the cleanest car in America,” and for its companion home refueling unit, as well as its FCX hydrogen car and home refueling Home Energy Station now under fast-track development.
- Harmony Green Globe Award for the Most Environmentally Progressive Manufacturer: New Belgium Beer Company for its extraordinary sustainability campaign in manufacturing, an attribute which has won the company praise and special coverage in the national media.
- Harmony Green Globe Award for the Most Environmentally Progressive elected official: New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson for his distinguished record in establishing New Mexico as “the clean energy state” including tax credits for solar power and sustainability, a hybrid car tax exemption, a “green building” program, and numerous alternative fuel initiatives.
- Harmony Green Globe Award for the Best Book of the Year to rescue the environment: to Washington-based author Edwin Black for his bestseller, Internal Combustion: How Corporations and Governments Addicted the World to Oil and Derailed the Alternatives (St. Martins 2006), and for his one-man, cross-country crusade to proliferate a “Green Fleet Initiative” to convince fleet mangers to switch to non-oil burning vehicles.
- Harmony Green Globe Entertainer of the Year: Willie Nelson, for his fervent, single-handed efforts to build a national biodiesel distribution network to cleanly power trucks and cars. Willie Nelson has earned a global reputation for BioWillie, recycled vegetable oil.
The recipients will be on hand at the Green Globes awards reception June 8 in the Eco Village to accept their awards. Gov. Richardson and Willie Nelson will accept via a pre-taped video recording.
The 29th Annual Harmony Festival
Sonoma County Fairgrounds
Santa Rosa CA